14 Oct 2015

ITALY | TIVOLI - VILLA D'ESTE


You'll notice a pattern in my travels - whenever I visit a city I have to do an excursion to another less explored phenomenon. As ironic as it is, I really dislike being surrounded by tourists, I much prefer being amongst locals, it gives me a chance to practice my foreign languages - Especially my Italiano since both my granddads were fluent & my dad understands and speaks a little.


So for this excursion I decided to visit the small town of Tivoli to see Villa D'Este. I planned our root the night before this trip (as per usual). We caught the train from the main station in Roma (Tiburtino) directly to Tivoli and then ventured through the village (following mostly road signs) towards Villa D'Este.




Just below the structure above there is a huge, huge drop with waterfalls gushing through the buildings - something you just have to see for yourself.




Bellow is the entrance or arrival to Villa Deste, after asking for directions to the villa from locals (in italian since its less touristic) we eventually found our way...





 ... And took photos in the cute courtyard during our arrival lavatory break... This is where I was teaching my younger sister how to take photos... I was mostly the photographer on this trip believe it or not... but she got a few decent ones thankfully...



For this trip I opted for practicality (under my fathers strict orders) It's still around 23 degrees however being in the mountains meant it could get slightly windy which is why I layered the Knit vest. A few items from this outfit are ancient- aka my 8 year old sandals which have just started to reappear on the runway so I've added links to similar items a little further down.







The Villa itself was stunning, there are so many floors and beautiful details such as this ceiling. Pretty much everything references to biblical and mythical beings, there are even a few chapels in the residence. In one of the rooms you can see the original medieval flooring through glass which once made up the foundations of the Villa- pretty amazing.




The grounds are beautiful in Villa D'este. Unfortunately when we went there had just been the summer drought so the fountains weren't working. They're beautiful because Roman techniques of hydraulic engineering were revived to supply the water and create Cardinal d’esters garden, fountains are operated with just gravity and no Pumps. 

Heres one of me sitting on the ledge of The Fontana dell'Ovato ("Oval Fountain") normally water cascades from its egg-shaped basin into the pool behind me set against a rustic nymphaeum.




My father and I annoying each-other to the point of laughter fits in front of the wolf suckling the babies sculpture aka 'The Rometta' or 'Little Rome Fountain' with it's fountain representing the Isola Tiburina and the symbol of the city: the she-wolf suckling Romulus and Remus.




The Villa d'Este is Listed as a UNESCO world heritage site, it is an exquisite example of Renaissance architecture and the Italian Renaissance garden- if you love the outdoors and have an OCD with symmetry this can be your haven. The Garden was taken by the Italian after the first world war and was reopened to the public in 1920.








Scarf | All of my hijabs are from H&M

White boyfriend Shirt | Mango
Jeans & Khaki Knit Vest | H&M
Tan Backpack | Primark
Gladiator Sandals | Newlook
Khaki Nail Polish | Revlon Spanish Moss


My grandparents were olive tree Farmers (in true italian fashion) in order to make a living and to finance the homes they wanted to build. Every-time we passed an olive tree (which was very frequently in Italy by the way) My dad would have to pick an olive from it and tell us a story about my grandparents. These are the memories I will cherish of them forever.


Taking a small break after spending almost 3 hours walking around the grounds- Yes allow for that long! Luckily there were plenty of drinking fountains around, the sun was shining & the view was a complete treat. I can't even begin to emphasise the beauty that surrounds me.




Just look at that...





Okay, so that brings me close to the very end of my post on Villa D'Este, however I'm not quite done with Tivoli yet, I have just one other destination for you here, which will be up on the blog shortly. For now I will leave you with some tips which I hope you will find useful.





TIPS: 
  • Purchase your biglietto/tickets at local corner shops, this includes train tickets (It's an Italian thing).  
  • If you have a student card ask to use it anywhere and everywhere in Italy. The entrance to Villa D'este was something brilliant around €10 with a student card.
  • Remember to Stamp aka 'Validate' your train/bus tickets or you may be fined €150... unless you have an Arab father in which case don't even worry about it, even if you are fined & threated with carabinieri (the Italian Popo) your father will most likely tell them to "Call the Police... I'm Arab" (Like ours did) to get you out of it.
  • Try to avoid taking cabs in Tivoli, most things are walking distance & you will discover cute little treasures along the way... aka food ... gelato shops. 
  • Souvenirs are much cheaper here than in Rome, so if you have gifts to purchase, Tivoli is your place! 
  • Take bottles of water with you everywhere, in Itlay water is more expensive than any other refreshment... its cheaper to get three coffee's than it is to buy  one bottle of water. There are public fountains which are great to fill up your bottles with - Look out for 'Drinking Water' signs. 
  • Lastly, learn the language, at the very least learn the basics, you'll need it. Tivoli is less touristic so you may have trouble communicating, plus its only polite to make the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment