1 May 2017

SINGAPORE MODEST FASHION WEEKEND | DAY THREE


It's day three and I'm pretty sure I ate something (aka Ramen) dodgy the night before, because I'm feeling SUPER rough but I decided I needed to go to the make-up workshop, why? Because who in the world can have enough make-up tips?



Syed Faizal is an absolute Gem. He worked on a daytime Raya (Eid) look which you can easily convert into an evening dazzler using his favourite products (and of course he's recently launched eyeshadow palette and matte lip).




I honestly learnt so much from Syed. As funny as it sounds, I didn't even know you could mix your primer, moisturiser and base all together to achieve that perfectly dewy look. I no longer feel so 'basic' when it comes to make up - THANK GOODNESS.




After the workshop I had a chat with Syed and discussed which colours would work best for my deep set eyes and big eyelids (everyone tells me they're the perfect eyes for make-up but I just don't see it, nor utilise it), he, of course showed me his phenomenal palette and highlighted the more neutral tones to make my eyes more open and 'pop' that little bit more with eyeshadow.



I had a lunch meeting so I wasn't able to make the mid shows but had planned to see the Syomirizwa Gupta show as well as the  unfortunately while at lunch the night before crowd all began to suffer with stomach cramps... I felt pretty rough to say the least so I ended up leaving everyone at lunch and heading back to the hotel. It sucked so bad.

Luckily I had the chance to interview one of my favourite designers Syomirizwa Gupta about his brand - which (by the way) I really fell in love with in London Modest Fashion Week. It was one of the last shows I saw and I remember genuinely applauding thinking 'YESSSS, this designer understands the female body, he knows what he's doing'. Little did I know we would reunite once again on the other side of the world.

I'm so gutted I didn't make it to the final show today, I wish I could've been feeling a little better but to be honest food poisoning and fashion isn't a brilliant combination.


Although I've seen a show of his literally a few weeks ago, It's refreshing to see how Syomirizwa updates each catwalk to meet the audiences needs, also to show just how versatile and compatible his collection is to mix-and-match - a huge sign of a successful collection is that all of the pieces should work well together.


Where did your journey begin with Modest Fashion?

My journey with modest fashion begins with me absorbing it from my surroundings -  customers, travelling, and lifestyle all had a part to play. I also believe that modesty is a lifestyle and doesn't have to be restricted to any particular religion or race. It's a way of living - be it in decoration, accessories, how a person spends money, also how a person behaves can illustrate levels of modesty. I guess this journey begins as an education for me firstly, and also a way of giving people choices in life- partucalrly in clothing.


Your designs feature classic feminine silhouettes with modern eccentric fabrics, prints and textures. How did you find harmony in mixing both?

For me the best way for any collection to have balance is for it to have a very solid base in the concept, for me this would be the story that I want to tell. The best way for me to tell a story is through colours, then slowly to incorporate other elements such as textures or print - according to what I want to show. Being true to our brand, we always have great respect to all types of womans bodies, so our designs are very classic with a twist and I think that is balance. 


I would literally wear ALL of these looks. Such an amazing combination and very Parisian chic.

 

What would you like to see for the future of Syomirizwa Gupta?

I would love to see the brand have a strong presence in Europe - London especially. Entering Fashion Week will be the next big step for the brand, also to maintain consistency in participating with the right trade shows or fashion organisations which represent us. Another hope is to see our pieces worn and styled individually by different ethnicities, and types of women from all over the world. 


1 comment:

  1. "pretty sure I ate something (aka Ramen) dodgy the night before"
    50 points for making me LOL at work!

    ReplyDelete