13 Feb 2017

FIFTEEN | TRAVEL ESSENTIALS


Everything you need when travelling.
________________________


1) PASSPORT | VISA
Before travelling I always ensure that my Passport is at least six months ahead of expiry. I also ensure I take photocopies of my passport with me just incase anything happens to my documents. Luckily because I hold a British passport I haven't had to use a Visa, however I would suggest you research whether or not you need one for your destination, it can save you a lot of time on your arrival if you sort it prior to your trip. I also love cute passport cases, I was previously sporting Oliver Bonas Alphabet passport holder, but I'm now using Louis Vuitton.


2) HEADPHONES | iPod
These are escentials for me when travelling. Especially when on the odd occasion there is a crying baby on the flight. I like to take my iPod mini with all of my old school R&B and Arabic tunes, as well as my iPhone 6 with a selection of my current favourites - but I usually prefer to preserve my iPhone battery to snapchat for you guys.


3) SUNCREAM
As you may have already guessed, I don't tan. No matter how close to equator I am, nothing will get rid of my milky complexion. My Este Lauder foundation contains SPF 10 to protect me from burning and the ageing effects of the sun, however I usually have my feet and arms out so I like to lather those up with some protection before I leave the house - or plane since there isn't much sunshine in the UK. At the moment I am loving Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream.


4) DRUGS
Pain Killers are my MUST haves anywhere I go. I get particularly bad pains if / when I am sick. I like to be prepared and I don't particularly like foreign pharmaceutical runs, I carry a huge box of 96 high dosage Cuprofen (available to buy behind Boots counters) which saves me from migraines along with everything else. I also take my usual vitamins with me in a travel carrier. If you haven't already, make sure you get a european health insurance card to protect you in case of accidents... I'm not sure how long these will be valid until since we opted out of the EU... *sigh*.


5) BACKPACK 
I never leave without taking my backpack with me, or to be more precise... ALL three of mine. Yes. Three. I usually take a black, tan and white, mostly because every outfit I wear will usually contain one of these colours in. It ensures practicality and co-ordiantion. I recommend leather (or mock leather), drawstring bags. I find these safer than zips or buckles, you can knot them as much as you like. With the friction of leather straps it makes it difficult to undo, especially with the additional popper fastening to hide the drawstrings. Remember to always carry your backpack on the front of you in crowded places, particularly public transport and keep valuables in interior pockets.

6) SLR CAMERA | MEMORY CARD
Nothing beats the quality of SLR holiday pictures. I have a long strap with mine which I tend to wear as across body so I can capture every moment. Be sure to tuck away into your backpack when you aren't using it as these things scream 'tourist'. I snap with a Canon 600D and love it, just make sure you have a 32GB memory card so you're not left deleting photos to make space for your memories.


7) PLASTERS
These are a necessity, generally not for me - I tend to wear sandals to allow my feet to breathe whenever I travel, but for my companions who aren't always as wise when it comes to shoe choices these are a life saver. Plasters are actually very expensive in third world countries where they are rare or considered luxuries. My personal favourites are Boots Cushioned and Elastoplast Fabric plasters.


8) SELFIE STICK
This should be on everybody's list. It can be a little tedious constantly asking your companions, or even random people for the perfect shot, not to mention the fact that one of your buddies will be out of the photograph. I love the Bluetooth remote shutter, I think the images come out clearer when you aren't operating the shutter with the same hand. I always make sure I have mine to hand, I normally hang it from my backpack for easy reach, its also perfect for vloging and documenting my adventures.


9) PORTABLE POWER BANK AND ADAPTORS
These have saved my life both in the UK and other countries. When I am travelling I like to snapchat, take videos, photos, use my maps, occasionally take work messages, therefore my phone battery understandably won't always last the longevity of the day. I carry two small ones from Primark as well as my Silvercrest gold one which normally will get me from 1% to at least 80%. Ensure you charge these over night so its ready for the next day. Also ADAPTORS, I cannot emphasise this enough, Ive been in situations where there have been 3 girls and one charger...not fun.


10) LIP BALM 
I have huge lips which get dry very easily, mostly when exposed to cold rather than heat. So for me its really important to top up regularly. My favourite is Blistex relief cream - this works wonders and is the only thing which works on me.

11) SHADES
I am yet to find the perfect pair of sunglasses, at the moment I pick up a random pair to wear before I travel abroad so that my eyes are protected, however I would love to find a pair that I am in love with and don't want to take off.


12) CASH
When on holiday I always try to carry cash rather than use my card. Fraud is more likely to occur when you are abroad. Unfortunately I didn't turn out like my parents when it comes to budgeting so I actually very rarely budget... I normally just take a guess at how much I will need and get the best exchange rate at Thomas Cook. I did learn this from my parents though; spread your money out and don't just keep all of the money in one place and keep some stored in a secure safe at your accommodation too.


13) WET WIPES
Absolutely life saving when travelling to less developed countries where you have to squat to use the loo, as well as use an outdoor brass gardening tap to wash your hands...been there, done that. For my messier friends these are especially important when on the move.


14) WATER BOTTLE
I LOVE Voss Water bottles. Refilling plastic bottles is one of my pet peeves because of the toxins they produce after use, not to mention the amount of damage plastic causes to the environment. I love glass bottles because they keep my water cool when they're packed in my backpack and they're easy to clean and reusable. YAY.


15) SNACKS | CHEWING GUM
I like to make the most of the sunlight when travelling and therefore don't always feel that stopping for an hour or so at a restaurant is good use of time, so I prefer to grab a fresh juice, snack as I explore and build up a good appetite for a luxurious satisfying dinner. Snacks also keep my energy levels up and mean that I don't have to waste time shopping around rather than appreciating the beauty around me. When visiting poorer countries its also nice to have something to give the excitable kids. Lotus Biscuits are my lifelong favourites for all trips.

I hope this has been helpful for my fellow nomads, I'm so restless, especially this time of year when its freezing here... I'm looking for my next destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment