10 Mar 2017

LONDON MODEST FASHION WEEK | SAATCHI GALLERY



"Modest fashion is becoming more and more mainstream and global muslim spend on clothing set to hit $327bn by 2020."

International designers and high-street brands have all responded. Debenhams became the first major department store to sell hijabs (we all know scarves are sold in almost every store anyway just as 'scarves'). Zara, Mango, DKNY have all launched bespoke collections for this market as well as Dolce and Gabbana launching the first ever 'designer' abaya collection. More recently Uniqlo teamed up with @Hana Tajima - one of mine and many others first modest fashion icons... AND sportswear giant NIKE is due to launch Nike Pro Hijab next year.  Many local emerging designers are also coming onto the scene much to out delight - its about time modest fashion became inclusive of FASHION right?


As well as all of the above breakthroughs in the industry it really was the icing on the top of the cake for London Modest Fashion Week was a part of the London Fashion Week calendar. On Saturday (The first day) I was rushing between shows at LFW and LMFW. Not only were the two at opposite sides of London, but also completely opposite vibes.

Firstly, a quick breakfast (while I type this) at Le Pain Quotidien - always a the smoked salmon avocado, scallions and dill Tartine... so good. I'm just around the corner from the Saatchi Gallery - the beautiful venue where LMFW took place. 



Outfit one for day one; I wanted to keep things simple in terms of colour scheme as well as pieces - casual is the new glam. I teamed the Zahra Rose Alazaibi London collection with a cosy sweater, and heels for the 'glam' in the look, juxapositioning the linen and wool casuals. Details are as follows;


FAUX GLASSESH&M
GOLD MULESNewlook
GOLD JUMPER | H&M
WOVEN SCARF | H&M
WOOL WAISTCOAT | Zahra Rose Alazaibi London

 

The vibe of Modest Fashion Week was friendly, smiley, and compliments were flying from every angle between ladies. The tone of Fashion Week is the complete parallel. 

LFW etiquette apparently entails serious facial expressions, if you like somebody's outfit you simply look them up and down with your arms folded and shades hiding your face, you rarely speak to anybody unless necessary (or you're sociable like me). That's NOT to say I didn't enjoy the fashion, I just preferred the welcoming vibe of LMFW a WHOLE lot more.





On the first day of modest fashion week I arrived just before the doors opened after visiting the EDELINE LEE AW17 presentation at LFW, there was already a queue taking over The kings road. So many beautiful glammed up ladies (and even some reluctant looking males haha). I bumped into @annanourin in the queue and made friends with the Malays behind me : shout out to @Hanafedora, sister and friends, (can't wait to join you for Nassi Lemak someday)! 

When the doors opened I bumped into my lovely friend PR manager @ZuraAhmed and designer @surayaasharifuddin from @sukuraMalaysia. One of the highlights was definitely bumping into friends from the other side of the world and being embraced by their warm hugs - love you guys!

I walked around the ground floor gallery's which displayed SO much talent from both an array of new designers (around 40 to be precise) as well as established. What was really admirable is that everybody was supporting each-other and was so talkative. I also bumped into childhood friend @nabillaBee and spoke about the old times at primary school and our fathers friendship. I also met a whole bunch of you guys, we took photos together and enjoyed admiring each other's style!

I missed the opening show for London Modest Fashion Week unfortunately because I had to run to LFW to attend the Katie Ann Mcguigan show, however I was back in time for the final show of the day featuring Blancheur - one of my favourite collections!

I changed things up a little for the evening, My second outfit of the day consisted of wide comfy pants, and a matching top with my one of my own designs - an oversized wrapped coat.


OVERLAP JACKET | Zahra Rose Alazaibi London
BURGUNDY HEELS | Topshop
SATIN TOP | H&M
SATIN PJ BOTTOMS | RHW Collection M&S



My favourite shows from the London Modest Fashion Week showcase included; AmiraB, Blanchuer, Fizwoo, lyra, Maslea, Sahee London, Syomir Izwa. 


Day two, I started off the day in some comfy wide pants (to follow on from the night before) a chiffon blouse, with my beautiful @AlluraDesign silk scarf draped casually over one shoulder.


 

SATIN TROUSERS | H&M
CHIFFON BLOUSE | TOPSHOP
DRAPED SCARF | ALLURA DESIGN
HIJAB | H&M


The dress everybody asked about. I bought this on a whim from H&M for £40. I'm sure it sold out both online, in store and this was the only one in the Bond street store at the time... Everybody told me how ugly it was (because of the dropped waistline) I was unsure about keeping it. It definitely looks like a sack when worn with flats, but with heels it looks super glam. I'm especially in love with the colour and the fact it has pockets. In my option is perfect  for the summer, no layering required.


 


DRESS | H&M

BAG | LADY DIOR

SANDALS | NEWLOOK 

WOVEN SCARF | H&M



P.S. BuzzFeed also included me as number one on their best dressed list, EEEKKKKK. Check it out here.

  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment